Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My Research Experience


Finding a topic for my research! That wasn’t easy, yet I haven’t made my final decision to pick up my research topic. I made options but I think I’ll talk about how coke is bad for children, my 3rd option that I’ve been hesitated to chose at first. Coke and soda drinks have many bad effects on children; this has been a serious issue that people, especially parents, are concern about.

Now the topic is picked, to find the information is not easy. Searching the internet, looking up coke effects in books, and reading articles were not easy. So we went to Pollak Library to get some help in finding topics and information. The librarian explained to us how we can get information by searching many resources, one of them was Oxford Reference Online Premium, and it is where I found my hint to pick up the Coke topic. Then, she showed us how to search the databases to get full text articles. One database that I liked the most is Opposing Viewpoints; it is great how it views a wide range of topics including many academic genres. Therefore, it compares topics and articles so you can get the best quality topics and articles. Finally, she showed us how to look up some books and if they’re not available at the library we can order them online, free!

That was really helpful for me; I can say that I decided to make Coke and how it affects badly on children after I experienced the library class, it was really helpful. Using the library resources and searching its database save time.

But there’s something I don’t like about finding information about my topic, that is, sometimes, I cannot get the accurate information that I’m seeking. Or, citing the information I find takes time to paraphrase and post the correct way of citation. Because academic research requires citation the resources that have been found.

The librarian showed us two ways of citation, I chose APA style, it is easy and simple. And it is the common used way of citation. I like APA style!

At last, I hope that I start typing my research ASAP. Yet, I just picked the topic, searched little information, had ideas about my thesis statement, and what are my 5 problems that I’m going to talk about!

Ahhhhh, hard work! Hate it :p

No comments: